Senior Software Developer (C Language)
Do you want to do something special, something different from the crowd? We are looking for a software developer who wants to build something great with a group of fantastic people.
NLnet Labs has a number of open source DNS software products that are used extensively by the internet industry. One of our products, Unbound, is one of the most popular open source DNS resolvers, powering everything from small devices to the largest cloud services on the Internet. We are looking for a senior software developer who can push Unbound to new heights of performance, security and functionality with an opportunity to participate in defining the future of the DNS within the Internet community.
Are you a software developer who wants to work on one of the most respected open source DNS software projects in the world? Are you self-organising and like working in a small, highly specialised team of developers and researchers? Join NLnet Labs and get an opportunity to do what you do best in a workplace without endless meetings and free of rigid processes.
What You Will Be Doing
As a Senior Software Developer at NLnet Labs you will be working on software that literally helps to make the Internet work. You are primarily responsible, as part of a team, for maintaining and expanding our validating, recursive resolver Unbound, but will also contribute to our authoritative and signing solutions for DNS. In addition to software development, there is opportunity for applied research with a perspective on operational insights and improvement of our software.
In this role you will:
- Maintain our DNS software to keep it secure and free of bugs,
- Monitor and take part in mailing lists for appropriate DNS standards and operations communities, like IETF, RIPE and DNS-OARC,
- Work collaboratively to develop and implement a strategy to optimise our entire DNS portfolio, covering our authoritative, recursive and signing solutions
- Think of new innovative solutions for the current and future challenges in the DNS,
- Participate in developing new, industry relevant standards and implementations.
What Skills You Will Need
It’s required that you have:
- Extensive experience developing in C,
- An interest in core Internet infrastructure technology.
It would be nice if you also have:
- Experience in existing and emerging DNS standards,
- Operational experience running DNS services at scale,
- An affinity with open source software development.
What We Can Offer You
Compensation is competitive for the Internet Research & Development industry.
We want to build great, industry relevant software and have fun doing it. Our team members think the most important parts of our culture are:
- Teams work together to determine the product roadmap and how to accomplish it,
- A working environment that allows you to work in a way that suits you best,
- A healthy work/life balance and flexible work hours,
- Committed to equality and diversity in the workforce,
- Be part of a talented team that inspires each other in a friendly environment.
About NLnet Labs
Founded in 1999, the NLnet Labs Foundation has grown into an organisation that is respected for their open source software projects that support the core of the Internet, their award winning research and contributions to the development of open standards. We strive to remain a lightweight organisation, currently employing ten developers, two researchers and two managers. We value openness, initiative and strive to allow everyone to genuinely influence the organisation. We currently maintain open source DNS software written in C, BGP software written in Rust, as well as several community and research projects written in Python.
NLnet Labs is located at the Amsterdam Science Park in the Netherlands. It has excellent reachability by public transport and has private parking available if you travel by car. Remote working is also fully supported.
How to Apply
Please contact us via email@example.com.